Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tuesday


“…an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus…”

Read: Luke 10:25 & 29
In my workplace I am an “expert” in all kinds of boring and technical things that no one really notices or cares about until something goes wrong. On occasion I find myself in a meeting where I’m in over my head, but need to prove my value as an employee, so I wind up trying to demonstrate my vast knowledge of something or other. But, like the expert of the law in this week’s story, I sometimes choose the wrong person to strut my stuff in front of (who knows far more than I do)…and end up looking foolish.
The gospel goes on to say that “he wanted to justify himself” and did so by challenging Jesus to further explain his statements. Jesus very gently showed this man (and all those watching this test) through parable that the wise man of the law was not quite so wise after all. Often God is equally kind and gentle in reminding us of our humble humanity and His stunning (though there ought to sometimes be some banging over the head with this realization).
Knowledge is excellent. Knowledge of the Bible, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit…can enhance our lives, draw us closer to God, and direct us in living as Christ-followers. But how often do we use this knowledge to subtly test God and try to justify ourselves? -AB

Jesus, we have been justified through your death and resurrection. All that we know or do cannot replace the gift you gave us. Give us clarity to see this and humility to accept it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment