Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday


“Why are you untying that colt?”

Read Luke 19:33.
Belongings are tricky things in our house. Most items are communally shared, some belong particularly to one person or another, and quite a few are in the former category but are perceived by some small children to be in the latter. Even my younger daughter, who has only a handful of recognizable words, makes her ownership issues known loud and clear: “NOOOOOO! MINE!!!” Which is sometimes followed up with an even louder and more emphatic, “NO! MINE!” from her big sister. Ah, the joys.
I get a good deal of amusement reading some stories from the Bible, such as the story of The Triumphal Entry. The owners of the colt are hilariously nonchalant about a couple of strange men taking their animal. “As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, ‘Why are you untying the colt?’” Like “Seen any good movies lately?” It brings to mind the ancient equivalent of a couple guys in flannel shirts lounging against a split rail fence. Really, wouldn’t the owners be reacting more along the lines of, “HEY! You! What are you doing, stealing my colt! Get back here!!!”?
But the disciples replied, “The Lord needs it.” Apparently that was enough. Is that enough for me? When I get particular about things that are “mine” (time, money, belongings…), would the reasoning of “The Lord needs it” be enough for me? More importantly, what am I holding on to that Jesus is asking for? Am I being stingy with time? Compassion? Forgiveness? Resources? Money? -AB

Jesus, help me to know when you want something that I am holding on to as “mine.” Remind me that you need it and let that be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment