Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday


“Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger…”

Read Luke 15:22-23.
I have formal training as a counselor. In my master’s program we spent significant time talking about boundaries—how to define them, establish them, maintain them. We discussed codependency. We touted the progression of children obtaining independence from their parents, rather than their parents enabling them to live a life of dependence. And then we met with clients whose lives were messy.
In this world, Jesus’ parable of the lost son in Luke 15 would end with the younger son ruining the best robe, selling the ring at a pawn shop, losing the sandals, and taking the fattened calf and culinary accessories to party with his own friends. Dad would have less than he started with, a cranky older son who resented both dad and the younger brother, and a younger son who knew he could take advantage of dad whenever he wanted to.
So what truth can I pull from this story? I’m not going to give up my boundaries or my desire to raise my children to be independent, highly functioning members of society. But maybe, just maybe, I can mimic God’s abundant grace, steadfast love, and eternal commitment to me. A sinner. Someone who has at times behaved as ungratefully as the younger brother in this parable. Maybe what I gain from this passage is not a call to show more mercy to others…maybe what I realize is that I am the younger brother. The one who has sinned. The one who is no longer worthy to be called a child of God. But yet God’s promises stand firm and his grace is sufficient for me. -AB

Jesus, as we read your words, give us eyes and see and ears to hear where we fit in the story. Thank you for your unending mercy.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Next time we come to this story YOU get to preach!

    ReplyDelete