Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday, February 14 – Still working...on love...



“But Jesus answered them, ‘My Father is still working, and I also am working.’”   —John 5:17 (NRSV)
Jesus has a disconcerting habit of challenging ‘religious’ certainty.  He sends this beggar packing, toting his mat on the Sabbath.  He performs the work of healing, on the Sabbath.  Any good Jew knows that is simply not allowed!  They’ve studied the Scriptures.  They ‘know’ what God has taught them.
What does this Nazarene upstart have to tell his accusers?  “My Father is still working, and I am also working” (v. 17).  They’ve gotten it wrong.  Despite their best intentions, they need to reassess their understanding of God’s Word.
These weren’t stupid people, these accusers of Jesus.  They carefully read, and listened, and studied, because they wanted to follow God.  They were sincere.  They were just like us. 
What notions of ‘truth’ might you need to reassess?  This world is not a static place.  Our Father is still working.  As my grandmother likes to remind us, a wise person changes his or her mind.  A fool never does. 
God’s Word is eternal.  God’s love is eternal.  God’s mercy is eternal.  Our human perceptions… aren’t. 

Lord, open my eyes and my heart to the work you continue to perform in this world.  Disentangle me from my preconceived notions.  Thank you for being bigger than I can ever understand.  Amen. 
by Laura Gifford

No comments:

Post a Comment