Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday, November 14 – I’ve learned to be content



I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.      –Philippians 4:12-13 (NIV2011)
My grandparents lived through the Depression.  They knew firsthand how to live and be content “in need.”
I remember my grandmother telling stories of times when, as a young girl, her family would have unexpected guests.  “FHB” was her mother’s code word at the table:  “Family Hold Back.”
It was my grandfather’s opinion that even though the Depression was hard, it produced resourceful and grateful people.  He thought another depression would be good for the country.  We’ll see what this recession produces.
How can we learn to be “content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want”?
Lord, help us to learn to be resourceful and grateful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment