Friday, October 11, 2013

True Food and True Drink


So Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55 for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56 Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them.          –John 6:53-56 (NRSV)
If you want to get the full context of this passage, read the entire 6th chapter of John.  This is John’s graphic teaching about Communion.
Jesus is purposely pushing the limits here...and as we’ll see on Saturday, it’s just too much to handle for some of his disciples...
But what is he up to?  I think he wants us to squirm a bit in order to begin to understand the gift that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are giving us... “in, with, and under” the bread and wine.  Is this truly Jesus?
Jesus, Lord of all, may I ‘eat you up’ and ‘drink you down’ with true joy and thanksgiving...

No comments:

Post a Comment